Associate, Water Practice
Location: San Diego
Practice Area: Water
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Start Date: 04/15/20
Environmental Incentives’ mission is to enhance the natural systems that sustain resilient and healthy communities. We design performance-driven approaches to conservation that empower public and private sector leaders to multiply their impact. We are environmental thought leaders pioneering a new wave of conservation, helping people get the most from their investments in the environment. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation operating four offices across the U.S. and supporting field staff in multiple countries.
- Western Office (headquarters) – South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Eastern Office – Washington, DC
- Mountain Office – Denver, CO
- Southern California Office – San Diego, CA
Environmental Incentives seeks to hire a full-time Associate to join our team. This position will be primarily supporting Environmental Incentives’ domestic Water team. All EI staff must be able to work effectively on multiple project teams that include internal staff, partner organizations, clients, and stakeholders. All candidates must be willing to travel domestically for short periods of time at least monthly, primarily within Southern California.
Duties and Responsibilities
Our municipal water resources team designs programs that help communities meet water quality, stormwater, and watershed protection goals. Associates serve as the primary producer and manager for projects, creating high-quality products and prolifically contributing creative ideas. Associates are expected to successfully implement the following.
- Work with leaders. Be a part of a collaborative team, working alongside recognized thought leaders who are reshaping the way conservation is done. Develop new skills and insights by working with teams representing diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Produce enduring products. Lead the development of targeted, useful, and long-lived products that influence decision-makers. This means bringing forth new ideas while being flexible to modify based on feedback from others.
- Manage projects. Coordinate all aspects of projects in an organized and transparent way, including tracking deliverables and budgets.
- Provide synthesized research findings. Take on large, complicated research and analytical tasks in a solution-oriented manner, driving to clearly communicated and synthesized findings and valuable insights.
- Manage relationships. Confidently and frequently interact with clients and partners on product development and project management, listening and collaboratively creating value.
- Contribute to company culture and operations. Be fully engaged in strategy and operations, contributing insights and new ideas to improve or grow the company.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative and inspired professionals who want to grow as individuals and impactful conservation leaders. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Additionally, all employees must have the following qualities and characteristics to succeed.
These qualifications are considered the minimum necessary and we expect successful candidates will bring more than the minimum listed:
- Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Water Resources or a related field and 3 years of related professional experience OR Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Water Resources or a related field and 5 years of related professional experience.
- Clarity of thought and effective communication (verbal, written, visual) in English.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions.
- Personal and professional alignment with Environmental Incentives’ guiding principles – 1) Improve the Environment, 2) Communicate Openly & Honestly, and 3) Create Enduring Change.
- Ability to collaborate with, listen to, respect, and understand others.
- Strong work ethic, and ability to maintain a positive attitude under stress.
- Ability and desire to create new, innovative ideas.
- Flexibility to contribute to multiple projects and manage multiple priorities.
- Experience working with or for municipal water resource agencies.
- Knowledge of California or federal policies and programs around water quality, stormwater, or water supply.
- Knowledge of or experience with:
- Economic analysis and incentive design
- Public-private funding partnerships, alternative procurement, impact investing, performance-driven planning and implementation, and project-level financial management.
- Adaptive management and program design frameworks (Open Standards for Conservation, human-centered design, outcomes mapping, systems thinking, etc.).
- Quantitative analysis, statistical and mapping tools, online project workflows and data displays.
- Translating technical information into accessible messages for diverse audiences.
- Production of compelling written materials for decision-makers.
The position will be based in San Diego, CA.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location. The starting annual salary range for this opportunity is in the low- to mid-range for our Associate I-IV position titles. Salary rates for Associate I-IV range from $53,500 to $83,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume no later than Sunday, April 12, 2020. On a rolling basis throughout the application period, we will review applications and contact qualified candidates to request additional information. We will invite the top candidates to interview by video conference and may also request that they complete a short written technical assignment.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.