Communications Associate, SWS
Practice Area: International Conservation
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Start Date: 11/17/20
Environmental Incentives’ mission is to enhance the environment that sustains healthy communities. We empower public and private sector leaders to maximize their effectiveness using performance-driven conservation and development tools and practices. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on evidence-based adaptive management across the United States and internationally. We apply expertise and tools to help our clients get the most from their programmatic investments by strengthening performance management. EI’s International Practice works across multiple technical sectors with client offices at USAID including the Bureau of Policy, Planning, and Learning, the Office of Forestry and Biodiversity, and the Office of Water. Other clients include the Walton Family Foundation, the University of Colorado, Boulder, and the Training Resources Group.
Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation.
Environmental Incentives is seeking to hire a Communications Associate to join our team working in Washington, DC. The successful candidate will primarily work with the Sustainable WASH Systems team to develop and refine communications products that improve the effectiveness of international development efforts.
The USAID Sustainable WASH Systems Learning Partnership (SWS) is a five-year effort that explores systems-based approaches to improving the sustainability of WASH services. The partnership is led by the University of Colorado, Boulder, and includes seven other partners working in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. Environmental Incentives leads communications, knowledge management, and organizational learning efforts for this project. The project is in its final year of implementation and will wrap up in October, 2021. More information about the project is available here.
The successful candidate will support design and finalization of reports, articles, and other communications collateral (podcasts, briefs, fact sheets, etc.) during the final year of the project. They will also coordinate planning and preparations for the project’s final events (likely to be virtual) that will draw a large audience of WASH sector professionals around the world for interactive and engaging learning activities.
The successful candidate will provide support to other client projects and company initiatives. Illustrative tasks include project coordination, support to administrative processes, helping develop technical products, virtual workshop support, writing, editing, and meeting preparation and follow up. Over time, the responsibilities may shift as new needs and priorities emerge in our growing practice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to high-quality communications products aligned with the key messages outlined in the SWS communications strategy and based on research and evidence generated through the partnership
- Support dissemination of products through trusted communications channels including websites, email, and social media that reach target audiences
- Support client and internal teams to develop and refine graphics and data visualizations in order to effectively communicate key messages
- Contribute to company-wide communications efforts and other projects, as needed
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative and inspired professionals who can provide technical support in a growing practice while being flexible enough to fit into a strong culture. We differentiate carefully our minimum qualifications and preferred skills.
These qualifications are considered the minimum necessary and we expect successful candidates will bring more than the minimum listed.
- 5 years’ experience in communications with work in international development
- Legally authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions
- Strong writing and basic editing skills
- Social media skills, experience creating posts, creating campaigns
- B.A. in communications, journalism, organizational learning, education, international development, environmental science, or another related sector.
- Familiarity with the fields of water, sanitation, or environment
- Spanish language written and spoken fluency
- USAID or other U.S. government experience
- Proven experience working well in a small team environment and supporting engagement of many stakeholders
- Experience planning conferences and learning events
- Familiarity and/or experience with social listening software
- Experience interpreting website analytics and usage tracking
- Graphic design and layout experience (Adobe suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
The position will be based in Washington, DC. Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the position will begin remotely.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location. The annual salary range for this position is $50,000 – $63,000 per year.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Please submit your application no later than October 31, 2020. On a rolling basis throughout the application period, we will review applications and contact qualified candidates to request additional information. We will invite the top candidates to interview and may also request that they complete a short written or analytical skills assessment.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment for all employees, where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.