Practice Area: International Conservation
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Start Date: 05/31/21
The mission of Environmental Incentives is to enhance the natural systems that sustain resilient and healthy communities. We design performance-driven approaches to conservation and international development that empower public and private sector leaders to multiply their impact. We are environmental thought leaders pioneering a new wave of conservation, helping people get the most from their investments in the environment. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation operating four offices across the U.S. and supporting field staff in multiple countries.
- Western Office (headquarters) – South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Eastern Office – Washington, DC
- Mountain Office – Denver, CO
- Southern California Office – San Diego, CA
- Kenya Field Office – Nairobi, Kenya
Environmental Incentives is seeking to hire a Communications Associate to join our team working in the Washington, DC area. The successful candidate will be a highly productive person who will support a wide range of ongoing communications and knowledge management activities including but not limited to writing, editing, data analytics, website maintenance, and webinar support. They will work with a high-performing team of technical specialists to enhance the impact of environment and learning programs through improved knowledge, sharing, evidence-based programming, and adaptive management.
This position will primarily support USAID-funded activities across the globe. EI provides a suite of communications and knowledge management services to support engagement and knowledge sharing in the environment sector, including biodiversity conservation, natural resource management, infrastructure, energy, and water. The Communications Associate will help ensure that USAID maximizes its information and knowledge assets, supports its partners and beneficiaries, and enhances its efforts to improve effectiveness and impact and become a recognized contributor to environment and international development efforts around the world.
The ideal candidates will be highly productive, with exceptional writing and copy-editing skills, including the ability to quickly summarize complex material in short, accessible formats, an eye for design, and a problem-solving orientation. They will also be able to manage project and communications data and visualize and present this information in engaging formats. This position will play a strong role with our clients, so the candidate should have the ability and demonstrated experience building strong relationships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Web content development and website management, including content management systems (Drupal, Plone)
- Support the Team Lead as they work with client teams to develop case studies, reports, technical briefs, including success stories, blogs, and social media that meet the technical needs of their audiences.
- Disseminate products through trusted communications channels that reach target audiences.
- Prepare newsletters and announcements using e-mail marketing software.
- Copyedit written materials including reports, briefs, and presentations.
- Contribute to company-wide communications and marketing efforts and other projects.
- Support webinar production.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative, and inspired professionals who can provide technical support in a growing practice while being flexible enough to fit into a strong culture. We carefully differentiate our minimum qualifications and preferred skills.
These qualifications are considered the minimum necessary and we expect successful candidates will bring more than the minimum listed.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, organizational learning, international development, environmental science, or another related sector.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in communications, website management, or knowledge management
- Legally authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to manage and contribute to website content, including blogs.
- A minimum of six years of experience in communications with work in the environment or international development
- Experience with data visualization and data analytics and/or graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite)
- U.S. Government contracting experience.
- Proven experience working well in a small team environment.
- Familiarity with the fields of environment, biodiversity conservation, water, climate, and/or energy
This position will be full-time and based in EI’s Washington, D.C office, with a few days per week in Ballston, VA. Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the position will begin remotely. Being present in the office on multiple days per week is an expectation once we reopen offices, which is expected to commence sometime after July of 2021.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Please submit your application no later than May 9, 2021 . On a rolling basis throughout the application period, we will review applications and contact qualified candidates to request additional information. We will invite the top candidates to interview and may also request they complete a short written or analytical skills assessment.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment for all employees, where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.