Practice Area: International Conservation
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Start Date: 05/18/21
Environmental Incentives’ (EI’s) mission is to enhance the natural systems that sustain resilient and healthy communities. We design performance-driven approaches to conservation that empower public and private sector leaders to multiply their impact. We are environmental thought leaders pioneering a new wave of conservation, helping people get the most from their investments in the environment. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation operating four offices across the U.S. and supporting field staff in multiple countries.
- Western Office (headquarters) – South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Eastern Office – Washington, DC
- Mountain Office – Denver, CO
- Southern California Office – San Diego, CA
- Kenya Field Office – Nairobi, Kenya
EI is seeking to hire a Program Manager to support work in several portfolios that support both USAID and domestic clients. The position will be based in Washington, DC and will provide management, operations, and administrative support to implementation of EI’s contracted work, with a heavy emphasis on supporting the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) subcontracts, as well as to other teams supporting USAID or U.S.-based foundations and municipalities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEAD PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Lead internal processes and support the project director with client processes to develop annual program work plans and budgets that deliver on the client’s vision.
- Oversee deliverable tracking process across project life cycle.
- Support project director in standing up and managing buy-ins including scope of work and budget responses, as applicable.
- Support project director with annual reporting (narrative and budget) to the client. Prepare and deliver short briefings to clients on the status of budget and work plan.
- Oversee project knowledge management and filing systems and maintain all relevant project and portfolio trackers.
- Track program activity and LOE (with Finance Associate) and prepare client reports and briefings.
- Manage the work of one or more Project Assistants who will contribute to overall contract implementation and management (both technical and administrative).
- Coordinate closely with EI’s Finance Associate in preparing invoices, managing budgets, and engaging consultants. Coordinate closely with EI’s Human Resources team and project director to recruit and orient staff.
- Represent portfolio in EI annual strategic and budget planning.
- Facilitate monthly/quarterly financial and staff forecasting for assigned projects.
- Contribute to portfolio business development efforts where applicable.
MANAGE SUBCONTRACTING AND CONSULTANTS
- Effectively engage activity subcontractors to make the most of their technical expertise.
- Prepare subcontracts for partner organizations and manage their implementation.
- Negotiate and manage development of consulting agreements.
- Ensure that subcontracting organizations and individuals comply with contract requirements and other relevant policies and practices.
- Assist in tracking consultant and subcontractor spending in line with allotted budgets.
DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT A STAFFING PLAN TO MEET PROJECT, CLIENT, AND PORTFOLIO NEEDS
- Estimate level of effort and utilization and generate scopes of work to meet project needs in partnership with project director.
- Contribute to recruiting of staff and consultants, with support of EI Human Resources team.
- Vet candidates’ qualifications to ensure delivery of the highest quality assistance in a cost-effective manner and ensure alignment to appropriate labor categories.
- Engage overseas organizations and experts in providing technical assistance for core and buy-in activities as applicable.
- Ensure that EI is complying with applicable labor laws and is following necessary procedures for registration, taxes, and employment.
- Maintain a database of consultants with relevant expertise.
MANAGE CONTRACTING AND PROCUREMENT COMPLIANCE
- Manage compliance with awarded contract and agency regulations, and with EI policies, in close coordination with Contracts Director.
- Oversee preparation of and response to contract and subcontract modifications.
- Lead compliant project procurement processes for both goods and services, where needed.
- Serve as EI point of contact for issues surrounding potential conflict of interest and handling of sensitive but unclassified information related to project work.
- When necessary, prepare informed and succinct inquiries to and reports for the client.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative, and inspired professionals who can provide technical support in a growing practice while being flexible enough to fit into a strong culture.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly applicable work experience.
- Advanced degree (or equivalent experience) in business administration, management, or other related field.
- Experience managing USAID contracts, including time and materials contracts.
- Demonstrated administrative experience managing multiple tasks and consultants, clients, and stakeholders.
- Highly organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as advanced facilitation skills.
- Ability to attend conference calls and virtual meetings with international clients outside of regular business hours approximately 3-6 times per month.
- A problem-solving approach and adaptability.
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
The position will be based in Washington, DC. Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the position will begin remotely.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!
Please submit your application no later than April 23, 2021. On a rolling basis throughout the application period, we will review applications and contact qualified candidates to request additional information. We will invite the top candidates to interview and may also request that they complete a short written or analytical skills assessment.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment for all employees, where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential and our business goals and mission. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.