Location: San Diego
Practice Area: Water
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Start Date: 03/30/21
Environmental Incentives’ mission is to enhance the natural systems that sustain resilient and healthy communities. We design performance-driven approaches to conservation that empower public and private sector leaders to multiply their impact. We are environmental thought leaders?pioneering a new wave of conservation, helping people get the most from their investments in the environment. Since our establishment in 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a certified B Corporation operating four offices across the U.S. and supporting field staff in multiple countries.
- Western Office (headquarters) – South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Southern California Office – San Diego, CA
- Eastern Office – Washington, DC
- Mountain Office – Denver, CO
- Kenya Field Office – Nairobi, Kenya
Environmental Incentives seeks to hire a Water Specialist to join our team. This position will be primarily supporting Environmental Incentives’ domestic Water team but may support other parts of our Domestic Portfolio. All EI staff must be able to work effectively on multiple project teams that include internal staff, partner organizations, clients, and stakeholders. All candidates must be willing to travel for short periods of time at least monthly, primarily within Southern California.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Our municipal water resources team designs programs that help communities meet water quality, stormwater, and watershed protection goals. Specialists serve as the primary producer for projects, helping clients find solutions to their needs and creating high-quality products for our clients. Specialists are expected to successfully implement the following.
- Serve clients and customers. Respond quickly with sensitivity, insight and high-quality solutions. Be a part of a collaborative team, working alongside recognized thought leaders who are reshaping the way conservation is done.
- Manage relationships. Confidently and frequently interact with clients and property owners to fulfill their needs, listen and create value for them.
- Provide synthesized research findings. Take on large, complicated research and analytical tasks in a solution-oriented manner, driving to clearly communicated and synthesized findings and valuable insights.
- Produce enduring products. Lead the development of targeted, useful, and long-lived products that influence decision-makers. This means bringing forth new ideas while being flexible to modify based on feedback from others.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative and inspired professionals who want to grow as individuals and impactful conservation leaders. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Additionally, all employees must have the following qualities and characteristics to succeed.
These qualifications are considered the minimum necessary and we expect successful candidates will bring more than the minimum listed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Water Resources or a related field and 1 year of related professional experience OR 5 years of related experience focused on sales and relationship building.
- Personal and professional alignment with Environmental Incentives’ guiding principles – 1) Improve the Environment, 2) Communicate Openly & Honestly, and 3) Create Enduring Change.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States with no restrictions.
We expect successful candidates will be able to explain their achievement of most of the following qualifications and experience:
- Sales experience and ability to discover a customer’s needs then communicate how EI’s services can fulfill their needs, or refer the customer to someone who can fulfill their needs.
- Awareness of landscape design principles and practices
- Experience working with or for municipal water resource agencies.
- Knowledge of California or federal policies and programs around water quality, stormwater, or water supply.
- Clarity of thought and effective communication (verbal, written, visual) in English.
- Ability to collaborate with, listen to, respect, and understand others.
- Strong work ethic, and ability to maintain a positive attitude under stress.
- Flexibility to contribute to multiple projects and manage multiple priorities.
- Spanish, Asian or South Asian language and culture skills.
- Knowledge of or experience with:
- Green infrastructure development
- Economic analysis and incentive design
- Public-private partnerships, alternative procurement, impact investing, performance-driven planning and implementation, and project-level financial management.
- Translating technical information into accessible messages for diverse audiences.
- Production of compelling written materials for decision-makers.
Criminal background check required.
The position will be based in San Diego, CA. Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the position will begin remotely. Being present in the office on multiple days per week is an expectation once we reopen offices, which is expected to commence sometime after July of 2021.
Environmental Incentives also offers a competitive benefits package that includes generous annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location. The annual salary range for this position is $57,700 to $77,300, commensurate with experience.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Please submit your application no later than March 19, 2021. We will review applications and contact qualified candidates to request additional information. We will invite the top candidates to interview by video conference and may also request that they complete a short written technical assignment.
ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment for all employees, where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or and other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.